Friday, May 13, 2011

Vintage Inspired Cards

First of all I want tell you that I'm so happy it's Friday!
Here are a couple birthday cards I made recently, I couldn't show them until now because the birthday girls had not received them yet....
 This first one was made around this Lilly of the Valley image from The Graphics Fairy. The birthday girl adores these flowers so of course that's what I had to do! I added some old lace and buttons from my stash, did some stitching, and there you have it! Can you tell what her favorite color is???? Hmmmmmm.... All the pink, lavender and green paper is an old collection of Ann Griffin paper, I picked this stuff up years ago and I was so happy to find a good use for it.


This second card was inspired by this antique sewing machine image once again from The Graphics Fairy-love her! The birthday girl loves sewing and has one of our grandmother's original foot powered Singer sewing machines. This time the colors for the card were more fall-ish which is a lot more challenging for me. The base of this card was made with a piece of pre-embossed Core'dinations paper, this stuff is so much fun! I dyed some of my seam binding green and pleated it to the front of the card. The dark purple flower was cut from natural muslin and dyed by me once again. I just cut out 4 circles and made a box flower with them.
Here you can see the embossed card stock on the inside of the card. I found a nice Irish blessing and printed it off on my printer and there ya go! Of course I had to add one of my "book flowers" and some vintage buttons I picked up at a local antique store.

These cards were such fun to make and to challenge myself to get out of my usual rut. The hardest part of all this was just picking out paper....it took me days!

Hope you have a fun and restful weekend!